Monday, September 30, 2013

Not All Therapies Are Equal

Every now and then  I read an article and say "yes....yes" under my breath as I read. Such was the case with today's New York Times OpEd, "Psychotherapy's Image Problem." In the piece Dr. Brandon Gaudiano warned my industry that unless they make a commitment to proven treatment methods, over time our practices will be shut out by skeptical consumers and insurance companies who need to be shown therapy works.

And it does--at least some therapies do. 

I only work in empirically proven methods--primarily Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness and Family along with the Gottman method for couples. When I discuss my commitment to science my peers across the country--many of whom I respect and am friends with--pay lip service to proven methods and then do pretty much whatever they please. That concerns me because it effects me; if their patient's experience is not optimal that experience effects my practice and the reputation of the entire industry. Doing efficacious work is not only ethical but also smart business, if and when it is done. 

I agree whole heartedly with Dr. Gaudiano; if we do not move to evidence-based practices we will be shut out by consumers who don't trust us and insurance companies that rightly expect results from our work within reasonable time frames. As we approach a new era of health care in the coming months, I can only hope the American Counseling Association and the American Psychological Association are listening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment