Friday, September 25, 2015

One Thing I'll Miss About John Boehner

Even as the Pope addresses the faithful of New York, the Times just reported that Speaker of the House John Boehner will step down at the end of October.

Politics aside, when I think about Speaker Boehner I think about his atypical emotions, i.e. he is not afraid to cry.

While some have accused him of being manipulative--and sometimes tears are just that--I think it's a brave thing for a man in our emotions-phobic world to cry. Think about it, can you name another male public figure who openly cries?

In my Darien counseling practice I help men get in touch with a variety of emotions and frequently encounter men who have never cried in their adult lives. Teaching them to experience a full range of emotions is a part of what I do and on more than one occasion Mr. Boehner's tears are a topic we discuss.

Can you name any other public men who cry? I'll need more models as he steps down from the public eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment