Monday, May 21, 2012

Should We Stop Checking for Prostate Cancer?

I just read in the New York Times that the US Preventive Services Task Force is suggesting the general population no longer have prostate cancer screenings. They say the detection of potential cancer has led to an enormous amount of unneeded treatment and life-long side effects.

I work with people living with cancer and host a support group for men living with prostate cancer. I am curious to hear from men who feel they may have been treated unnecessarily as I am familiar with the potential for detrimental long-term side effects. I can only imagine how I would feel if I had had the surgery and then read this report. 

Science grows via analysis and "facts" change over time. I suppose the next step is enhancing the ability to differentiate between growths that are deadly and those that can be left alone for decades. I wish this had been recognized years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment